Davis, Guthrie Tried Out At New Defensive Posts

By Steve Cady

Art Valpey acted yesterday to strengthen what he considers weaknesses in the Crimson's defensive armor, when he tried out tackles Will Davis and Tom Guthrie as line-backer and defensive end respectively.

Although pleased with the team's spirited performance at West Point Saturday, Valpey indicated that he was not fully satisfied with the defensive play at these two spots. "We're looking for anybody who wants to play there badly enough to really work for the job," he explained. "When we find the right men, they can have the jobs."

Sophomore Phil laenberg has been shouldering most of the line-backing burden so far this fall, but Valpey is apparently looking for additional material to take some of the pressure off the 18-year-older. It may come from the center corps, which includes Paul O'Brien, first-string offensive center, Chuck Glynn, "Cowboy" Bill Hickey, and Don Stone. George Goodrich, last year's number one line-backer, is also eligible. Davis, who was tried out behind the line yesterday, is currently playing second-string tackle behind Doug Bradlee.

Guthrie Tried Out at End

As for the defensive end position, weakened by the pre-season injury suffered by Jerry Bahn, Valpey has the same comment: "Anybody who can convince us that he really wants to play there can have the job." Guthrie worked at one of the defensive flanks yesterday for the first time this fall. He was a former end at Notre Dame.