Fogg Museum Opens Display Of Rembrandt's Rare Works

A six-week exhibition of some of Rembrandt's rarest and most valuable works opened yesterday at the Fogg Art Museum. The display celebrates publication by the University press of a two-volume work on Rembrandt by Professor Jakob Rosenberg, Curator of Prints at the Museum.

The exhibition consists of eleven important paintings, mostly portraits and sixty etchings by the seventeenth century Dutch artist. The selections have been chosen to give an impression of Rembrandt's realism and powerful imagination.

The etchings reveal Rembrant's genius in graphic work and his creative ability in this medium. They include landscape, portraiture, genre, and Biblical subjects.

Self-Portraite

"The Self Portrait" of 1648 is a highlight in the section on portraiture and in one example of the self-portraiture which was a vital force in the artist's life. Rembrandt did his own portrait at least twice a year, an unparalleled record.

"There is hardly any phase of the artist's life without its painted record of his likeness. This makes it possible for us to reconstruct the complete history of his outward appearance as well as the development of his personality," Professor Rosenberg has noted.

The exhibition is open to the public without charge and will continue until November 27.