McInnis is Baseball Coach

Member of $100,000 Infield

John P. "Stuffy" McInnis, first baseman of Connie Mack's immortal $100,000 infield, will coach Harvard's baseball team next spring, H.A.A. Director Bill Bingham announced last night. He succeeds Dolph Samborski, who will devote his full time to directing the intramural sports program.

McInnis, who played on four World Championship teams, has a long college coaching record. He directed the Norwich University team for 14 years, and after a short stay at Brooks School went to Amherst last year, where he ran up an impressive 10-1 record with the Lord Jeffs.

The famous infielder started his professional baseball career with Haverhill of the old Eastern League immediately upon graduating from high school Connie Mack picked up the youngster, then a shortstop, and put him at first base, where he played with four Philadelphia pennant-winning team.

World Series

He also was a member of the Red Sox in 1918 and the Pittsburgh Pirates in 1925 when these teams won pennants, making McInnis one of the few participants in six World series.

With Frank "Home Run' Baker, jack Barry, and Eddie Collins, he was a member of the fabled $100,000 infield--the highest paid four-man unit in baseball at that time. They sparked the Athletics to three World Championships before the Braves "Miracle Team" dumped them in 1914. The group was broken up after that season, and McInnis came to Boston to aid the Red Sox to their 1918 championship.

In addition to the three pennant winners, McInnis played for the Indians and the Braves before his retirement in 1927. He went immediately to Norwich in 1928.

Winner at Amherst

The new coach produced a remarkable unit at Amherst last year. His team topped such eastern powers as Dartmouth, Holy Cross, and Colgate, and lost a close 4-3 decision to Yale, the Eastern Intercollegiate League champions.

McInnis, who filled in for ailing Ameherst coach Paul Eckley, was so popular that the student body voted him an honorary member of the Class of 1948.

Samborski handled the crimson diamond forces for two years following the retirement of Floyd Stahl after the 1946 season. He piloted his 1947 team to third place in the League standings, and brightened an otherwise mediocre season last year by downing the champion Eli nine 2-0 in a finale at New haven.