Crimson Eleven Confronts Dartmouth Today In 52nd Renewal of Ancient Gridiron Rivalry

45,000 Pack Stadium as Team Seeks Win Over Slightly Favored Green

By Charles W. Bailey

Harvard's football team comes home to the Stadium and 45,000 spectators today after two bruising weeks on the road. The occasion is the 52nd game with Dartmouth.

Big Green coach Tuss McLaughry will present persuasive arguments for his side in a beefy line and a talent rich backfield squad. Art Valpey has a group which showed offense potential galore against Columbia and sheer courage against powerful Army, and which is fully aware of the importance of today's game in its season plan.

Both teams must win this game to make their seasons successful. It looks almost even this morning, with Green power and speed slightly favored over Crimson skill and determination. Both squads are in good physical shape: the Soldiers Field roster is longer than at any time since before the Columbia game.

Kenary Ready

Jim Kenary, star halfback of 1947 and one of the finest passers in New England, is ready to step into the lineup whenever Valpey sees fit; defensive tackle Rocky Stone, injured in pre-season practice, is fit again; and Paul Shafer, who took a pummeling at Army, will be available for work at his regular fullback slot.

The line today will be the same as the one which opened the season. John Fiorentino and Bob DiBlasio will team on the ends; Doug Bradlee and Howie Houston are at tackle; Jack Coan and Chief Bender handle guard slots; and big Paul O'Brien will pivot the line.

Two of the final backfield choices will be optional right down to game time. Either Shafer or Chip Gannon will spin from the key fullback slot on offense, while both Jim Noonan and Charley Roche may get the opening tailback assignment.

Henry Masterminds Attack

Quarterback Bill Henry, who has run the team for three games to date, will continue to call the turn on offense; Captain Ken O'Donnell, who gets very little time off on Saturdays, he runs on both offensive and defensive platoons--will handle wingback duties.

Dartmouth's big nope lies in its backs, for the last two weeks have produced a series of runs and passes which dazzled all comers. McLaughry found a finely cut gem in John Clayton, sophomore quarterback, who has thrown all of the Green's touchdown passes.

Joe Sullivan, slick Hal Fitkin, and fullback Herb Carey will carry the ball. Conrad Pensavalle, who terrorized Harvard partisans two years ago at Hanover with a one-man exhibition of both running and throwing, has been forced down to third string listing.