Indians Can Be Rough or Shifty -- Anything for a Touchdown

Dartmouth's two and one record--a strong but losing opener against Penn a decisive victory over Holy Cross, and a rout of Colgate--indicate that the photographer who handled these Big Green stars individually had a much easier time than the Crimson will have this afternoon in the Stadium when they try to handle them all at once.

Connie Pensavalle, a Greater Boston youth, was the Indian back who threw a scare into ex-Coach Dick Harlow and company two years ago up at Hanover. Chip Gannon scored thrice for the Harvards to ice the game, but Pensavalle, who passed for Dartmouth's only touchdown, kept the issue in doubt with his long heaves.

Tackle Jon Jenkins, a somewhat more rugged individual, is credited with being the strongest man ever to go to the Hanover school, at least in the history of their peculiar military-type strength test. Jenkins, besides piling up the highest score on record, also piles up opposing ballcarriers with amazing consistency.

This is halfback Joe Sullivan's third year against the Crimson, who should remember him well after his major contribution to the Green's 14-13 victory last year. Joe cracked the line for gain after gain and made himself felt in the defensive secondary.

Captain Dale Armstrong was chosen as an All-East end last fall, primarily for his defensive ability, although last week he caught six passes against Colgate. He may well throw the wrench into Art Valpey's well-oiled ground machine.

Center George Schreck has been limping on and off the field this fall because of a knee injury. It seems as if that's the only way he can get a rest. Last year he averaged close to 59 minutes of play in nine straight games.

Punter John Chapman hasn't been getting many assignments lately. The Big Green apparently would rather score every time they get the ball than go to all the trouble of kicking on fourth down.