Cherington, Beer Argue Election Race; Kennedy, Eliot Lash into Republicans

"It's a question of Silas Lapham or Huck Finn, and I'll take Huck Finn anytime," Associate Professor Sam Beer asserted in a debate on the election with Associate Professor Charles R. Cherington before more than 200 people who packed the Littaner Loungo last night..

Both contestants freely admitted the faults of their candidates. Cherington termed his defense of Dewey "a bleak task indeed," while Beer admitted that President Truman had "committed himself right into the gutter" on such issues as civil rights.

Cherington, who admitted regret that he could not vote for Franklin D. Roosevelt next Tuesday, maintained that in the face of a return to government by Congress "Mr. Dewey is more likely to be a success in the mid-twentieth century American Presidency." He cited Dewey's ability to organize good executive staffs as District Attorney and Governor of New York.

Beer based his support of the President mainly on the thesis that the Democratic Party is better suited to aid the poor, the uneducated, and the economically depressed. He also attacked GOP views on tariffs, foreign policy, and taxes.

Congressman John F. Kennedy '40 and former Congressman Thomas H. Eliot '28 analyzed the situation in Harvard Hall last night and concluded that Republican leadership was at its lowest obb in the 80th Congress and that Republican state officials are not catering to the needs of the people. About 40 persons attended the informal Liberal Union seminar.

Congressman Kennedy, speaking from his experiences as a member of the Committee on Education and Labor, declared that passage of the Taft-Hartley Act was an indication of the mentality of the Republicans and of their poor leadership.

He also cited the postponing of education aid and the inadequate housing bill which was substituted for the TaftEllender-Wagner Act.

Eliot reiterated Kennedy's hope that the rise of liberal senators in the south would unite the Democratic Party.

He stated that price controls were lifted too soon and that even though the Republicans emphasize "honest" government, they are spending money where quick profits can be made. Eliot finished by offering reasons why the three labor referenda should be voted down.