Economics Department Restores Tutorial Plan

Seniors to Get Course Credit for Ec. 99

Tutorial has returned to the Economics Department.

Provest Buck announced over the weekend the addition of Economics 99, "Tutorial for Credit," to the spring term list of courses. Senior honors candidates in Economics may receive credit for the course for one term, and in special cases for two terms.

"The Faculty pretty well restricted tutorial in the spring of 1946, and the Economics Department discontinued it altogether," Buck, chairman of the Committee on Educational Policy, said.

Eo 10a Discontinued

For the next two years, the department offered a course in thesis writing for credit, Economics 10a. However, this was discontinued last spring because the policy committee judged it too "advisory" and not tutorial enough, and because Faculty policy does not permit credit solely for work on an honors thesis.

Buck pointed out that such courses are designed to provide qualified men with more time to do more tutorial work.

He also defined the requirements for a degree with honors as 16 courses plus an honors thesis. "Thus, Economics 10a was actually reducing the standards for such a degree," Buck said.

To prevent a recurrence of the same flaws in the new course, the policy committee has made its continuation beyond this year dependent upon the degree to which the Economics Department conforms to the general policy.