Bean, Hartz Discuss Election Tonight at Meeting of HLU

Louis Bean, the only political analyst who predicted President Truman's re-election, will share the lecture platform with Associate Professor Louis Hartz and Professor Alvin Hansch tonight in a discussion of "1948 Elections and After." The meeting will take place in Emerson D at 7:30 p.m. under the auspices of the Liberal Union and Radcliffe's Students for Democratic Action.

Bean, the main speaker for the evening, will discuss the long-range political implications of the recent election, with a side explanation of where his rival pollsters went off the track in predicting a Republican sweep this year.

Known in Washington as the "statistical wizard," Bean wrote the book "How to Predict Elections" which was published prior to this year's campaign, and in which he predicted that a Democratic victory in 1948 was not improbable. Election records show that Bean has not been wrong by more than one percent in 12 years of predicting elections.

1948 Starts Era

Basing his theories on election returns of the last 100 years, Bean concluded in his book that 1946 produced the lowest vote for the Democratic Party, and that 1948 is actually the beginning of a new ebb tide for the GOP and the start of another Democratic era.

Professor Hartz, speaking at an undergraduate meeting for the first time in two years, will also treat the election, while Professor Hansen will introduce the two speakers and act as moderator for the discussion following the meeting.

The lecture will be followed by a business meeting of the Liberal Union.