Bender Cancels Student Investigation Clearance

Dean Bender rescinded on Saturday his two-week-old order which would have required all student investigations of the administrative department of the University to clear through his office beforehand.

Following a conference with Student Council members, Dean Bender also announced that he had accepted the entire Council resolution of last Tuesday and he indicated that the Council recommendations would guide future student-administration relations, at least for a trial period.

Council Resolution

The Council resolution proposes that:

1) Council members will check with the full Council or its president, William D. Weeks '49, before interviewing vice-President Reynolds or his assistants, and the Council will "attempt to keep the Dean's Office as well informed as possible on the progress of Council work."

2) The Dean's Office will withdraw its order and will assist Council investigations by directing inquiries to the proper department of the University, by providing information, and by arranging joint conferences where necessary with several University divisions to avoid administrative confusion.

3) The administrative vice-president will continue to grant interviews, will "not seek to prescribe what subjects the Council may investigate," and will "refuse to make policy pronouncements on matters outside the jurisdiction of his office."

Original Order

The original order resulted from an increasing demand for interviews with vice-President Reynolds and his assistants. This forced members of the administrative department to make quick decisions, sometimes out of line with Dean's Office policy, and often outside of the jurisdiction of their office.

When the order was announced, two members of the Council had threatened to resign unless it were rescinded. A little more than a week ago, Dean Bender said he was willing to accept any Council substitute proposal that would cut down on the administrative department's difficulties.

The Council resolution expressed concern "with what might grow out of the Dean's ruling, not with what the ruling specifically proposes to cover."