Dartmouth Alumni Monthly Pushes Official Ivy League

Formal organization of an Ivy League in football was advocated yesterday by the Dartmouth Alumni Magazine.

In a lead editorial in its November issue, the magazine said such a league is already a de facto organization in the eyes of the press, the public, and the students and alumni of the eight member colleges. A move to formalize the organization would work to the advantage of Ivy League football, the editorial pointed out, without disrupting traditional rivalries.

The existence of formal leagues in basketball, baseball, hockey, track, swimmis, tennis, and soccer has enhanced the prestige of these sports, the incentive of the players, and the interest of spectators, the Dartmouth magazine said.

Academic Standards

Advantages to be derived from a formal football league would also include regularization of scholastic entrance requirements and eligibility rules for "young men of sterling moral character, who, fortuitously, can also do things to or with a football," and more serious attention to related problems of scholastic aid for academically qualified athletes. Organization would also bring more orderly arrangement of schedules and an incentive to college football in the growing competition with professionals.

The editors announced that henceforth they would emulate the metropolitan press and publish the "unofficial" Ivy League standings.