Dr. Burwell Will Retire As Medical School Dean

Leaves Position After 14 Years

Dr. Charles S. Burwell, Dean of the Faculty of Medicine, will retire on January 31, 1949, after serving 14 years as head of the Medicine School.

The 55-year-old dean came to Harvard in 1935 from Vanderbilt University to assume the posts of research Professor of Clinical Medicine and Dean of the Faculty of Medicine. An earlier connection with Harvard occurred in 1934-35, when Dean Burwell was Cutter Lecturer on Preventive Medicine.

Dean Burwell received his M. D. from the Harvard Medical School in 1919, after being graduated from Allegheny College in 1914. He served as a teaching fellow in Medicine at the Med School in 1921, then moved to Johns Hopkins first as an instructor and then as an associate in Medicine.

From Johns Hopkins he went to Vanderbilt, where he fas first associate professor of Medicine, until Harvard beckoned.

Dean Burwell was president of the American Society for Clinical Investigation during 1933-34, and president of the American Clinical and Climatology Association during 1942-43.

In addition, he is a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the American Medical Association, the American College of Physicians, and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. He is a member of the American Heart Association.

In 1920, Dean Burwell was a member of the American Red Cross Commission to West Russia.

While at Harvard, he has done work in cancer and infantile paralysis. Under his administration, the Medical School has continued its reputation for pre-eminence in the field of public health.