Science Held Solution for Cultural Problem, Use of Natural Resources

Sorokin, Kemble Cite Contrasting Effects

Science leaves many a harmful mark on cultural life in the wake of technological discoveries, but most of these effects can be nullified by science itself, Professors Pitirim A. Sorokin and Edwin C. Kemble agreed at last night's SANES meeting in Emerson Hall.

Speaking on the "cultural Significance of Science" Professor Kemble opened the debate. He listed a variety of negative scientific influences, such as the rise in population and bad features of urban living, but asserted that "logical, unprejudiced features of sciences" can overcome most of these problems.

Professor Sorokin echoed the thesis that the work of science is not always beneficial. Pointing out places where "science begins to push out goodness and beauty" the professor of Sociology said that these problems can be solved only if "we find scientists who don't forget that there are other values besides those of science."

Henry D. Aiken, associate professor of Philosophy, was moderator and led the lively question period which followed the speeches.