College Moves To Stop Food Poison Return

A two point program to stop further outbreaks of food poisoning was announced yesterday by Associate Sanitation Inspector Edward W. Moore.

Announcement of the program followed last weekend's epidemic which has now been traced to the gravy coming from the Kirkland central kitchen on Friday night.

Indoctrination of food-handling personnel that they must not handle food when suffering from respiratory or gastro-intestinal upsets, and the keeping of food samples for 24 hours should cut down the number of future outbreaks, according to Associate Professor Moore.

No Check Possible

Failure to keep such samples in the past made it impossible to trace exactly who was responsible for the weekend's epidemic.

He said, however, that it was practically impossible to prevent all epidemics and declared that the incidence rate in the Harvard dining halls was much lower than that in any Boston or Cambridge restaurant with which he was acquainted.

Only the fact that restaurant patrons are scattered, while dining hall eaters are concentrated, makes the outbreaks more noticeable when they occur at Harvard. Moore said.

Occasional epidemics still must be expected, according to Moore, since "an occasional accident will happen unless you have an inspector for every person who handles food."