Puritans Win Over Dunster By 13-0 Score

Seven fugitive track men put aside their disci and spiked shoes, donned the uniform of the Winthrop House football team and sparked that team to a 13 to 0 victory over Dunster yesterday on Soldiers Field.

The Situation

The Puritan win raised the possibility that the League race would end up in a tie, and force a playoff. The crucial game on Wednesday between Eliot and Kirkland is the key to the whole situation. If Kirkland (with a 4-1 record) defeats Eliot (5-0) then the three leaders will have identical records as they go into their last games on Friday, when Kirkland plays second place Winthrop and Eliot faces seventh place Dudley. If Eliot wins the Mastodons will walk into their second successive championship.

The rampant trackmen scored all the points for the Puritans: End Pete Ways (miller) made the first touchdown, Bob Cameron (sprinter) made the second, and Harvey Thayer (sprinter) chimed in with the extra point.

The down-river boys, with a team of 12 men, one of whom was inactivated early in the game, put up a sturdy fight in the first half, making several stands deep in their territory, but on the last play of the half, Pete Ways made a circus catch of a pass from Dave Aloian deep in the end zone to put Winthrop ahead 6-0.