Deposed Geographers Get Key Jobs

Ackerman Goes to Japan

At least half a dozen former members of Harvard's diminished Geography staff are now in key spots at other universities throughout the world.

Edward A. Ackerman, whose assistant professorship of geography terminated here last June following a general cutting down of the department, is now a full professor at Chicago University.

Currently on leave from his Chicago position, Ackerman is in Japan, helping to establish a national resources planning board under the occupation authorities.

Richard F. Logan also moved into a better job when he left the University. A lecturer here last year, Logan is now an assistant professor at UCLA. He is teaching economic geography and has taken full charge of UCLA's field training program.

Puerto Rloan Assignment

John P. Augelli 3G, finishing up work for his Harvard doctorate now, held a temporary appointment in the University of Puerto Rico last spring and summer. He has been invited to return to the island as an assistant professor when he completes his degree requirements.

Another grad student is packing for New Zealand. Donald Patton, a teaching fellow last year, is right now an army research worker, and will lecture at the University of New Zealand after getting his Ph.D. here this February.

Others Find Positions

John Enman, who took a Harvard M.A. last year, is now chairman of the Geology-Geography department at Washington and Jefferson University.

At least three or four more graduate students and teaching fellows in the department who had hoped to stay and teach at Harvard have received offers of assistant professorships in North American universities.