Rotary Sponsors Two Britons for Graduate Schools

Two students from England, Geoffrey N. Burton 1G and Kenneth Phythian 1L are attending Harvard this year under the terms of Rotary Foundation Fellowships.

Their fellowships are among 37 granted to outstanding students from 11 countries by Rotary International. The purpose of the fellowships is to further international understanding, good will and peace, the Rotary organization explained.

Burton, a graduate of St. John's College in Oxford, is preparing for a career as an educator. During the war, he served as a commissioned officer with the British Royal Artillery. Captured in the fall of Singapore, he worked on the Siam-Burma railway and helped to run a camp library and book repair shop while a prissier of the Japanese. After his repatriation in 1945 he wrote a book about his war experiences entitled "In the Shadow."

Phythian who is studying the American legal system and international law at Harvard is a graduate of Queen's College of Cambridge University. As an officer in the Lancashire Fusiliers he was twice wounded while serving with General Wingate's troops in Burma.

Rotary Fellowships are awarded to students who possess a good speaking knowledge of the language of the country in which they elect to study, a faculty for making friends, a "basic internationalmindedness, and an instinct for leadership."