Educators Ask Huge Federal Student Fund

Scholarship Program Proposed for 20,000

A program of 20,000 Federally financed scholarships to private or public colleges and universities was developed by the National Education Association's Department of Higher Education last week and will be backed by American educators, Dr. Ralph McDonald, executive secretary of that organization, announced Saturday. The estimated cost of the program is 100 million dollars the first year and more thereafter.

The scholarships, under the present provisions of the project, would be awarded to high school students throughout the country on the basis of competitive examinations. Stipends would range from $500 to $1000 annually to issue the financial independence of scholarship winners. They would be able to attend any accredited college and take whatever courses they choose.

Favored in Congress

According to McDonald, Congressional leaders and administration advisers have looked favorably upon federal scholarship aid, and leaders in education feel that the scholarship plan has a good chance to passing through Congress.

McDonald stressed that the program must guarantee the absence of pressure or control on the part of the federal government on either student or college. It should be administered by state committees free from political interest. The only criterion in awarding scholarships must be ability, McDonald added. Safeguards would have to be employed against discrimination and the use of funds toward purposes other than originally intended.

President Conant in his recent book, "Education in a Divided World," favored a federal scholarship program. A similar project had also been outlined by President Truman's Commission on Higher Education.