Wallace, Boston Forces Ally As Anti-UMT Factions Split

College anti-UMT forces disagreed on reasons for opposing Universal Military Training last night and lined up in two competing factions as the Committee for Wallace voted to affiliate with the Greater Boston Student Committee Opposed to UMT. Earlier, members of the newly-formed youth division of the National Council Against Conscription had declined to work with the Greater Boston group.

The Wallacities, meeting 90-strong in the Winthrop Junior Common Room, termed the UMT issue a "Railing point" for Wallace forces. Daniel L. Marsh, president of B.U., is one of the sponsors of the Boston Committee, a two-month old group, which includes religious leaders and members of the Progressive Citizens of America.

The New England Youth Division of the NCAC, formed Sunday night at Phillips Brooks House, was set up in competitions with the Greater Boston unit. Ulric D. Neisser '50, secretary of the NCAC, claimed that PCA and AYD "dominate" the Boston committee.

The Boston group, however, disclaims any PCA or AYD parentage. "We welcomes any and all opposition to UMT," their chairman said, adding that they "hope to see a morger" of the two groups for united action.

Different Reasons

The split was seen last night as the outgrowth of the Boston group's opposition to UMT as an arm of the "bi-partisan foreign policy." the NCAC supports the Administration's foreign policy and opposes UMT because of the "dangers to democracy" which it presents.

"We could not support any petition," Neisser said, "which attacks UMT on foreign policy grounds."

Following the affiliation move, the Committee for Wallace heard an address by Mrs. Howard Mumford Jones, a delegate to the recent PCA convention in Chicago. Simmons, B.U., and Radcliffe were represented at the meeting.