Winthrop Five Stops Eliot To Wrest Intramural Lead

Winthrop's quintet yesterday smashed out of a first-place tie with Eliot by downing the Mastodons 26 to 22 and claiming undisputed lead in intramural basketball. The game highlighted a fivefold inter-House field day.

The Puritans, who held a one-point advantage at halftime, waited until the last five minutes to break the deadlock. Jack Richards and Jim Powell then sank a total of six points to decide the match. Close guarding accounted for the low score.

Meanwhile, Kirkland partly atoned for a seven-game losing streak by smearing the Gold Coasters 45 to 27. Edison paced the winners with 17 points while Bixby accounted for ten. Manoff and Crafts led Adams with 12 and 9 markers respectively.

Bellboys Skin Bunnies

Lowell House matched Leverett basket for basket during the first half, but slowly pulled ahead in the second canto to win 46 to 36. Score at mid-time was 19-18, which the Bellboys had little difficulty building up after intermission.

The play became rough in the second half and several Leverett men were injured. Fred Donahue was high scorer for Lowell, while Dave Belcher led the Bunnies.

Dudley's commuters trailed Dunster for almost all their game, but managed to keep the margin down until the Funsters broke away in the last quarter to win, 48 to 37. Dudley was never ahead more than one point and usually lagged by five or six markers.

The day's only hockey tilt saw Eliot trip Lowell, 2 to 1, in a game that was close all the way. Farwell Smith hit the nets for both of the Elephants' scores.

Basketball play takes a layoff this weekend. Winthrop's sextet will meet Dunster this morning in the only intramural game remaining this week. Straus Cup Standings ELIOT  270 LEVERETT  250 KIRKLAND  220 DUNSTER  190 WINTHROP  185 LOWELL  165 ADAMS  157 1/2 DUDLEY  157 1/2