Wrestlers Edge Past Cornell, 16 - 13; Swimmers Douse Springfield, 45 - 30

Claflin's Takedown Is Decisive in Contest

By the proverbial width of the Wheaties flake, the varsity wrestling team won a well-earned 16 to 13 match from Cornell before a crowd of 800 at the Blockhouse last Saturday. Bob Claflin took down Cornell's Gardner Reynolds in the last two seconds of the 175-pound class bout to provide the deciding three points for the Crimson.

In the previous bout, Crimson 165-pounder Don Louria evened up the meet score by getting the only pin for Harvard with a crucifix over the Big Red's Charlie Strack in 4:21. In the final match of the afternoon Crimson captain Peter Fuller tied with Dick Clark to jump the score from 14-11 to 16-13.

Lightweights Win

In the 145-pound division, calculating Dan Ray rode Bob Adams, one of the Cornell stars, for over six minutes to gain a clear cut, 6 to 2, decision. Dave Coombs, the Crimson's intense flyweight, took the only other match for Harvard with a 5 to 2 decision over Earle Wilde.

Cornell won the 128-pound bout when Joe Calby ended up with a 5 to 0 score over Jim Westfall, while at 136 Pat Bowditch was pinned by John Raine with a body press in 7:59. Jim Conant dropped a 6 to 1 decision to Jack Foley of Ithaca.

Just before the Varsity meet, the Freshman wrestling team, led by newly-elected captain Andre Sigouney, defeated Andover, 19 to 10.