Strong Tiger Quintet, Leading EIL, Battles Crimson in Garden Tonight

By Ronald M. Foster jr.

A little to the southeast of this spot are the current Eastern Intercollegiate Basketball League standings. In a bunch of teams at the top of the list is Princeton, with a record of two up, none down. At the bottom is Harvard, with the same record, but in reverse. And those few figures just about sum up the situation.

At 9:30 o'clock this evening in Boston Gardon Bill Barelay's team will have a chance to make those two records two-one and one-two. To do that though, they will have to upset a Tiger squad that has an eight and four overall record, and that is flushed with a five-in-a-row streak of wins, all over better-than-average opposition.

Saturday night, for example, Princeton crushed a good Rutgers team, 63 to 38. Rutgers had beaten Princeton by 12 points in an early-season contest.

Three men seem to dominate the scoring for the Orange and Black this winter, First, of all, there is Captain George Lawry. Last year he set an all-time Princeton scoring record; in his last Garden appearance he scored 23 points against the Crimson.

In the other forward slot is Joe Holman. Last year, as a Freshman, he received a trophy awarded annually, to the man making the biggest contribution to Princeton basketball. His contributions this year have been of similar proportions.

Golla Is Threat

The third standout on this year's quintet in George Sella, brilliant wingback on that well-remembered Princeton football team. Last year he was a star of the Tiger freshman five, which lost only once. He plays baseball, too.

To bolster a team that has twiced missed upset victories by slim margins, and has at other times been beaten quite badly, Bill Barclay has padded his roster with three new faces.

Two of these, Bill Mobraaten and John Altrocchi, were, until a couple of days ago, members of the jayvees squad, and both are former mainstays of last year's yardling team. Barclay thinks that a season and a half of grooming on these two lesser aggregations has prepared them for the big time.

The third new man arrives as somewhat of a surprise. He is Tom Guthrie, a transfer from Notre Dame who has just completed his twelve months of non-eligibility. Guthrie, a six-five, 220 pound end for the Irish in '44, has been highly touted as a football prospect for next fall. His baskeball talents are not so well known, but he may see some action at center as a replacement for Bill Prior.

Upset Looked For

All this new blood and two weeks of rest from competition might at last bring about the upset that has apparently been lurking somewhere around the corner for the Barclaymen.

Other possible bright spots are John Rockwell's sudden return to last year's form and possible Tiger overconfidence. But, as has always been the case this year, you can never tell what kind of game the Crimson is going to play until the team actually gets out on the floor.

Starting off tonight's Garden proceedings at 7:45 o'clock will be an encounter between Georgetown, and as usual Holy Cross. Probable Starting Lineups HARVARD    PRINCETON Hauptfuhrer  lf  Lawry Rockwell  rf  Holman Prior  o  Adams Brady  lg  Kelly Henry  rg  Sella

E.I.L. STANDINGS   Won  Lost COLUMBIA  3  0 CORNELL  3  0 PRINCETON  2  0 DARTMOUTH  1  2 PENNSYLVANIA  1  3 YALE  1  4 HARVARD  0  2