Track Team Takes Eleventh, Felton Second in IC4A Meet

Seven come eleven. That's what Jaakko Mikkola's nine-man Varsity track unit rolled at the IC4A championships in New York Saturday when the seven points it scored landed the team in eleventh place in the 42-college field.

Pole-vaulter Bud Lockett and weight stylist Sam Felton rolled the big seven, although for the second time in a week, large Sam had to play second fiddle in his specialty, the 35-pound weight throw. Nine days ago, Bob Bennett beat him out for the National AAU title.

Saturday it was a hulking football player named George Marsanskis, from the University of Maine, who edged Felton by wheeling the iron ball 56 feet, 11 inches on his sixth and final throw--2 1/2 feet better than he had ever done before. Sam, consistent as always, was leading up to this point, with a left of 55 feet, 10 inches plus several 54-footers.

Lockett Hits 13 Feet

Sophomore vaulter Lockett nailed the other three points in the Crimson's total by tying for second place at 13 feet with George Coleman of Villanova and John Eustis of Yale. Eustis was only one of many Eli point-getters.

Bob Giegengack's power-pregnant Yalies, who whacked the Varsity last week 82 to 27, finished a strong second behind NYU in the team scoring. They won the hurdles (George Cook), the shot (Him Fuchs), and the mile relay (Burdick, Stoltman, Paradise, Lucke), and scored in the 35-pound weight throw, the broad jump, and the pole-vault for a total of 23 1/4 points. NYU had 31 1/2.

Other leaders in the final scoring were Manhattan, 18; Penn State, 13 1/4 Army, 12 1/4; Rhode Island State, 11 1/4; and Fordham, 10.