Varsity and Yardling Fencers Meet Yale in Season's Finale

Even Rene Peroy, probably the frankest coach who ever ran a team for the H.A.A., expects a close match this time. So far Peroy has called the turn on every fencing duel, but he did not predict what would happen when his once beaten swordsmen face the Yale Varsity today at 3 o'clock in New Haven.

Ninety minutes before the Varsity match Peroy's Freshmen make their bid for an undefeated season when they meet the Yale cubs in the Payne-Whitney gym.

With practically identical season records, the Varsity match will probably be decided in the sabers, the strongest department. In every match this year the Crimson has won the saber events and in all but the Cornell encounter, was able to break even in the foils and epee.

Saber Event Strong

Holding down the foil slots for Harvard will be Ray Frankman, Bill Raney and Stan Sheldon while Halton Arp, Tom Masterson, recently restored to athletic competition by the Dean's office, and John Ager are in the epee. The powerful saber department boasts captain John Gay, Norman Ellis and Neil McNeil.

Yardlings Unbeaten

With seven straight wins behind them, the Yardling fencers probably hold a slight edge over the Blue, but the foil, not the saber, should tell the story. The Freshmen will be hampered, however, in the epee by the possible absence of Joe Overholser, who sliced his hand on a glass this week.

The Yardling lineup: foils Harry Chase, John Rice, Stuart Falk; epec--Jee Overholser, Paul Ode, Robert Milne: saber Ray Pierce, Forest Carter. Westhrin.