College Backs Truman Draft Plan by 4-3 Vote

Vets More Favorable Than Others

Harvard undergraduates, more than four to three, have accepted the crisis proposals made yesterday by President Truman.

A CRIMSON poll last night disclosed a definite split between veterans and non-veterans. The poll covered five of the seven Houses.

Ex-servicemen approved the Truman proposals, 207 to 125. Non-veterans, on the other hand, voted against them, 77 to 66. Seventy-four were undecided.

Truman proposed a peacetime draft, prompt passage of universal military training and immediate positive action on the European Recovery Program.

Army and Navy ROTC headquarters reported that requests for information on military training programs, including the Marine Corps, had increased sharply in the last few days.

NROTC headquarters said it had been swamped with telephone calls since the speech. Most inquiries, a spokesman said, concerned whether late applicants would be accepted late in the NROTC and Marine Corps programs.

Army ROTC officials at Ghannon Hall reported they had been peppered with phone calls since the beginning of the "crisis" early this week.

The CRIMSON poll piled up an absolute majority in favor of the Presidential speech reaching 273, while those in both the veteran and non-veteran groups opposing the measures registered 202 ballots against the proposals.

The large number of students who were undecided indicated that many were waiting for further information before reaching a definite opinion.