Forum Speakers Debate on European Recovery Plans

Henry Wallace's attacks on Marshall Plan aid to Europe received strongly worded criticisms at last night's Republican Open Forum meeting from Michael Karpovich, professor of History, and Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr. '38, associate professor of History. Oliver Allen, chairman of the Massachusetts Wallace for President movement, presented the third party views. The meeting was held in Emerson D.

Professor Karpovich called Wallace's views on ERP "completely unrealistic," claiming they were based on a "total misunderstanding" of the totalitarian nature of the Russian regime.

Replying to complaints that the United States is supporting reaction against popular revolution, Professor Karpovich said there is no popular revolution in Europe, and explained that present governments in France and Italy are not reactionary, but "third force" regimes.

Schlesinger Attacks

Schlesinger described the Wallace Plan as a "sop for soft, fuzzy-minded liberals, the kind Roosevelt called the "yes,--but boys," in reply to Allen's statement that "principles are principles."

The only choice left us is between the Marshall Plan and nothing at all," Schlesinger said, "and, despite the Wallace claims, there is no doubt that the non-communist European left desperately wants and needs the Marshall Plan."

Allen spoke very briefly and most of the meeting was taken up by his opponents.