Compulsory Student Levy Up for Debate at Radcliffe

Radcliffe's 900 undergraduates are nearing a vote on one of the year's most controversial issues on Garden Street. A mass meeting Thursday will decide yes or no on a proposal for a compulsory Student Activities fee which would assess every student $12 annually to cover nearly all her costs through the year for non-academic Radcliffe activities.

As outlined by Luretta F. Davis '49, Student Government treasurer who offered the plan three weeks ago, the compulsory fee would be divided among the college's organizations. Every student would receive a subscription to the Radcliffe News, Signature, and the Year-book and tickets to two Idler productions.

The sum would also cover dues to her class, the Student Government, and two clubs of her choice.

Confusion on Term Bill Payment

As first described the plan included references to the possibility of placing the $12 charge on the college term bill. Last night, however, Sueaque J. Ehrentheil '48, president of the Student Government indicated that method of payment would not be considered on Thursday.

She pointed out that, if the Activities Fee were passed by an undergraduate vote, Administration approval would be necessary to place the levy on an official Radcliffe bill. An alternative method would be a charge by the Student Government, which now collects $5.75 each year in compulsory fees for its own support, class dues, and Radcliffe News subscriptions.

Behind the new proposal is a continuous financial pressure which has been felt by Radcliffe extracurricular organizations, especially in the last few years.