Sleep My Love

At the U.T.

A modern-day "Gaslight" is holding forth at the U.T. Complete with hypnosis and a husband bent on murdering his wife, "Sleep My Love" gives that forbidding atmosphere to New York's fashionable Sutton Place which was the forte of the earlier Bergman-Boyer thriller. "Sleep My Love" is definitely not Academy Award material, but it, makes a refreshing and suspenseful two hours.

Realistic backgrounds and some almost surrealistic horror highlight the photography which is the cardinal virtue of this Claudette Colbert whodunit. It is this superior camera work which gives that cerie mise en scene all important to a psychological mystery.

Casting in "Sleep My Love" is unfortunate, with Miss Colbert in the role of a very young wife and Don Ameche as the ogre. But their performance considering physical handicaps are adequate. Robert Cummings is debonair as the passing hero, and gives a fair imitation of the snave prewar Robert Montgomery. George Colouris is his customarily minister self, and Hazel Brooks, oh well, she'll never learn how to act.

It's just one big homicidal family at the U.T.