Morrison Flogs Deficiencies In Secondary School English

Attacking secondary school English courses, a survey of 113 colleges completed in February by Theodore Morrison '23, lecturer in English, and seven Ivy League English teachers, depicts the average college freshman as "woefully unable to learn through books."

Morrison, director of English, explains that the supply of competent teachers has not kept abreast of swollen high school enrollments. Blaming poor pay, long hours, and overwork, he thinks that if English teachers could put the debating team, school paper, and dramatic club under someone else's guiding hand, they would have time for more practical instruction.

Having doubts that even "ill-prepared" is the correct word to describe the high school graduate, the report outlines the following conditions: "Spelling is often as chaotic as to seriously impede communication; logical thinking is materially limited; and grammer and its usage show gross ignorance."

Included in the survey are fifteen possible remedies for the present situation. Separation of college aspirants from other less ambitious students, more stress on remedial reading, and the increased study of Latin and Greek are the three most easily applicable solutions, the report holds.