New Committee Begins Tutorial System Survey

45 Students Organize Two-Month Project

Forty-five members of a new Student Council Special Tutorial Committee launched a two-month-long analysis of the need for and place of a full-scale tutorial system in the College last night.

The group, which met for the first time in Adams Upper Common Room, consisted of men recommended by house masters and College deans, and interviewed by David C. Poskanzer '50, committee chairman. Qualifications for selection were "general intelligence" and an interest in College educational problems.

Study will begin with "no preconceptions as to whether or not tutorial is necessary." Poskanzer explained last night. No "pro-tutorial" campaign is contemplated, but rather a program of interviews and research, ending in a written report some time next May.

Four Tasks Begin

Committeemen will start four specific jobs within the next ten days:

1) Determination of the history and possible future of tutorial in each College department, by means of consultation with faculty members.

2) Personal interviews to find out a cross-section of student opinion on tutorial.

3) Research on University administration policy on the subject.

4) Discussion of educational theory underlying tutorial

For this project 140 men were originally recommended, and 110 invited to join the group, Poskanzer said yesterday.

The new committee is the largest Council group in recent history, and in its interviewing it will receive advise from the Social Relations department.

Council Allocates Funde

Meanwhile, a short special meeting of the Student Council voted last night to send $400 from the Service Fund to the Red Cross, $350 to the American Cancer Association, and $250 to the National Foundation for Infantile Paralysis. Allocation was determined by a student poll taken last fall.

Council members also heard President William D. Weeks '49 announce the appointment of Samuel M. Robbins '45 as a non-elected member of the group.

Final action on the pending constitution of the Crimson Key Society was postponed until the weekly Monday night meeting.