Competition for Rostrum at '48 Graduation Opens Today

Gilb members of the Class of 1948 will begin competing today for three undergraduate speaking parts in the June commencement ceremonies, the Committee on Commencement Parts announced last night.

Mason Hammond '25, professor of Greek and Latin, will accept trial drafts in his Kirkland Master's residence until March 20.

Only honors candidates may compete. Applicants with the best speeches will vie in an oral trial early in April, and the final winners will then receive intensive grooming for their functions in the June 10 graduation.

Only-Students on Rostrum

The two or three seniors finally selected will be the only students taking the rostrum in the commencement program. The class orator, poet, and similar officers perform on class Day.

Last year's speakers included Robert V. Hansberger '42 who discussed "Education in Our Democracy"; Douglass Cater '46 IPA, talking on "A Challenge to Free Men"; and James B. Peabody '45, who took the Latin part, "De Animis Sodalium Exeitahdis."

In the early days of the College, all men getting degrees spoke at commencement. As enrollments mushroomed, only outstanding students, and later honors men, were eligible.