Law Forum Speakers Call For Civil Rights Program

So-called "100 percent Americans," not communists, constitute, the greatest danger to the nation today, Leon M. Birkhead, director of the Friends of Democracy, told a Rindge Tech audience last night at the Law School Forum.

Birkhead named the Hearst-McCormick-Patterson press as part of "powerful financial interests" giving impetus and support to groups professing racist theories. "Our greatest danger," he said "is that, because of our fear of communism," we may fall into the arms of those men who supposedly "will save us from it."

The meeting, which was chaired by Arthur N. Holcombe '06, Eaton Professor of the Science of Government, also featured Walter White, executive secretary of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, and Senator Dennis Chavez of New Mexico.

Must Control Prejudices

White outlined the development of group prejudices, asserting that "in creasing neuroticism because of fear of war and instability" resulted in popular consumption of racist theories. We are at odds with Russia today, he continued, because "neither of us had the intelligence to control our prejudices."

Senator Chavez spoke on the legal aspects of race regulations.