Band Manager Attacks Three Watson Rulings

South American Trip Still Needs Backer

"Stone wall" opposition by Associate Dean Watson has temporarily floored three Band proposals concerning University financial aid, rehearsal space, and a proposed South American trip, manager Joseph J. Borgatti, Jr. '45 said last night.

Borgatti declared that Watson had, in the last week vetoed a request for University financial backing for the Band, involved petitions for rehearsal space in a morass of red tape, and hamstrung the Band's proposed South American trip this summer.

Following Watson's announcement last week that the University could not aid the Band financially because of lack of funds, Borgatti said he had asked for a statement that such aid would be forthcoming when it was possible.

"Watson said No"

Again, Borgatti explained, Watson said no, and added that the Band had no right to question a University decision. "He then suggested, that if we didn't like the rulings, we would perhaps be happier at another college," Borgatti said.

Borgatti also scored University policy in regard to rehearsal space, asserting that the Band has several times received permission to use Sanders Theater for rehearsals, only to find the permission revoked at the last minute, often with no prior notice.

Watson suggested Hemenway Gymnasium to Borgatti as a site, but at a price. The Band, according to the manager, was forced to use Homenway after attempts to obtain Boston's Symphony Hall had been abandoned because of high costs of instrument transportation. Outdoor rehearsals were also vetoed by Watson, according to Borgatti.

Borgatti leveled a third attack against University policy in regards to a proposed South American trip, which, he said, had been crippled despite assurances from State Department officials that the trip could easily meet expenses from concert receipts. Watson was not satisfied and demanded a backer be found to put up the needed $100,000.

When the Pepsi-Cola Company expressed interest, Watson again disapproved unless all advertising was limited to the backs of concert tickets and programs, and no slogan such as "The Harvard Band Drinks Pepsi-Cola" be used