Union Claims Harvard Club Refuses to Arbitrate Strike

The Harvard Club of New York "categorically refused to arbitrate" its dispute with the striking employees at a Friday night conference with Union representatives, AF of L sources in New York claimed last night. Club representatives could not be reached for comment.

According to the report, the Union had first asked for an arbitration board composed of three University alumni, to be selected by President Conant. When this offer was refused, the strikers requested a board of three Faculty members of the Harvard Club, and then any three members of the Club, to be chosen by an impartial person agreeable to both parties.

Estimates made by the Union after scrutiny of the current Club-Union contract claim that, if the Club granted the demands in full, the cost would be $35,000 per year. This would mean a $5 increase in dues for each of the Club's 7,000 members, who now pay $60 yearly.

Porters now receive 50 cents per hour for a 48-hour week. In the kitchen, which runs on a 40-hour basis, wage rates begin at 70 cents per hour.

The union is asking pay increases averaging slightly over ten percent for those employed on a 40-hour week basis and a 40-hour week for all employees now working longer at the same pay.