Tales of Horror Give Inspiration To Ghost Lovers

Spooks and spectres have replaced presidential candidates and politics for 14 College and Radcliffe students, who instead are dedicating their time to the supernatural, both in literature and, in real life.

Convening in Leverett House at scheduled intervals, the members informally sit around sipping wine amidst the flickering shadows cast by candle-light, while reciting the most ghostly and frightening stories they can find.

In addition to the study of such imaginative authors as Lovecraft, Blackwood, and Lord Dunsany, the group plans more active doings for the future. Members contemplate field trips to "haunted houses" in and around Salem and Marblehead, and also have some catacombs lined up for investigation in Connecticut.

"Mainly a literary group"--that's what the anonymous horror-lovers insist they are. "Why, just yesterday we were reading one of the rarest books ever published on "witchcraft, an opus on black magic put out in 1613," declared one of the members, emitting a weird laugh as he thumbed a book of Charles Adams' cartoons.