Nebulous Mound Staff Faces Strong Crusader Nine Today

By Robert Carswell

Ordinarily a fair weather fanatic, baseball coach Dolph Samborski won't be too sorry if it rains today. This afternoon the Varsity nine faces Holy Cross, one of the stronger clubs in the rural regions, at Worcester, and Samborski still isn't sure he has a starting pitcher.

Some two weeks ago trainers pared a callous from the index finger of the pitching hand of Bill Connolly, the portly right-hander who was scheduled to be the number one hurler for Harvard this spring. The finger is now well enough for Connolly to use it again, but only if he is allowed to cover the tender spot with adhesive tape.

Under baseball rules, a pitcher may not bandage his digits, but if the opposing team waives the rule, the prohibition need not be final. A waiver from Jack Barry, the Crusader coach, therefore stands as Samborski's main hope. Should Barry decline, and the skies stay clear, it may look like batting practice at Worcester.

Godin Not Ready

Ira Godin, the Crimson's top pitcher this spring, went ten innings on Thursday, while Ralph Hymans, the number three pitcher, was ineffective in the Jayvee game yesterday. Barry Turner, the logical starter if Connolly is ruled ineligible, has never started a game for the Varsity, but turned in a good relief job his last time out. Chuck Roche, a little used relief hurler, could also open on the mound for Harvard.

Pessimism may well be in order, however, for Holy Cross has a good hitting team led by Bob Curran of basketball fame.

The Crusaders are set with two rested starting pitchers, Al McEvoy and Joe Reidy. Last year they defeated the Crimson twice, the first time aided by a series of ninth inning errors in the outfield.

The Freshman baseball team, having completed its fourth tie of the season, travels up to Exeter tomorrow with their colleagues, the '51 track team.