The Little People

Now that the last grey snow has vanished from the shady spots in back of Leverett House, the grass is blushing green along Memorial Drive, and Tom Bolles's galley slaves are churning the clear blue Charles once more, it appears that Spring has finally come to Harvard.

Even more convincing than these gladsome harbingers, however, is the fact that the leprechauns are at work again. Latest depredations of The Little 5People center about the gates leading into the Yard. True to all that is finest in Harvard's long tradition of hospitality, these gates stood wide open all winter. But for the past few weeks, late-comers moving to and from the Yard have found their passage mysteriously but effectively blocked by the sturdy chains and locks which seal the portals firmly shut.

Some Yardgoers claim to have seen minions of the University Maintenance Department snapping shut the loathesome couplings, but this is obviously ridiculous. Maintenance men are nothing if not creatures of method and punctuality, and the very irregularity with which the Yard gates have been swinging shut of late definitely rules out the Duransters as accomplices.

In the second place, there is absolutely no discernible justification for having the gates closed, now or ever. This fact climinates all thought of officials instigation of the crime, for the University seldom violates the canons of common sense by keeping an archaic regulation overlong on the statute books.

The only answer is The Little People. Their pranks, usually amusing, have gone too far this time. They must be stopped. Here, certainly, is rewarding work for the Yard cops. Catch the little vandals. The punishment should be swift and sure. Probation would be of little value--severance of connection is too good for them!