Poll of University Discloses Majority Support Draft Law

Sixty-nine percent of University students favor some form of non-voluntary peace time military service, according to a poll conducted by the month-old Harvard National Security Council Friday.

The poll asked three questions of the 2788 students contacted in the College, Graduate School, and Law and Business Schools. They were: "Are you a veteran? Do you favor UMT? and Do you favor Temporary Draft?"

Veterans overwhelmingly indicated that they believed the nation's security demands conscription once again at this time. Seventy-one percent of vets throughout the University favored selective service, while in the Graduate Schools a 79 percent total suggested the need for a draft.

Less Support from Non-Vets

Non-veterans were less in favor of the pending legislation with only 54 percent supporting its passage, while those in the Graduate Schools evidenced least enthusiasm for a draft with 51 percent opposed to the measure.

Though the final tally on the draft alone for the entire University resulted in 58 to 42 percent support in the various schools, the combined program for both a draft and a Universal Military Training program as well met with the disapproval of 69 out of 100 men questioned.

The Security Council was set up over a month ago in the University. It is headed by Stuart P. Greene '48.