Springfield Stops J.V. Nine's Skein With 7-4 Triumph

By Peter B. Taub

Springfield snapped the Jayvee baseball team's win streak at nine yesterday with a 7-4 victory on Soldiers Field.

The usually reliable Landon Clay started on the mound for Coach Lloyd Harper's charges and left at the end of the seventh with the score 6-1 against him. The home team struck for a run in the first inning to take an early lead, but Springfield came back with two in the second and from then on the winners couldn't be stopped. They added two in the fourth, two in the seventh, and one in the ninth off relief hurler John Hanson.

The Jayvees rallied for two in the eight and another in the ninth. Dan Minnerly started for the visitors, gave way to Frink in the eighth with Ross coming on in the ninth. Springfield registered eight hits to the Jayvees' six, including a triple by Steve Howe.

Crimson Scores First

Harvard tallied in the first when Bucky Harrison drew a walk, went to second on a balk, and crossed the plate on Howe's blast to deep left. In the seventh, Mort Dunn walked, went to second on a wild pitch and took third on Bud Gibbs' single to left. Gibbs stole second; Dunn scored and Gibbs went to third as Harrison struck out, and scored a minute later when Gil Richards walked with the bases loaded.

Errors Hurt Team

Springfield scored twice in the second, on a double and an error, and again on a walk, a stolen base, a passed ball, and another error. A walk, two errors, and an outfield fly produced two more in the fourth. In the seventh, the winners put together a walk, two hits, and a stolen base to score two more. They added their last run in the ninth on a fielder's choice, a stolen base, an error, and an infield out. All five Crimson errors figured in the scoring.

The Freshmen get back into action this afternoon when Northeastern visits Soldiers Field. Saturday's postponed game gave Coach Moe Berg a chance to rest his ace, Roy Meears, who should be ready today. George Emmons is another potential starter, as the Yardlings seek their second win of the season.