Wood Wins Dana Reed Prize With Lampoon Article

The Dana Reed Prize, given for the best piece of writing appearing in an undergraduate publication during the past year, has been awarded to Clement B. Wood, Jr. '47 of Philadelphia, Lowell House, and the Lampoon. Wood received notification by mail yesterday morning.

Three judges--Frederick Lewis Allen '12, editor of Harper's, Edward Weeks '22, editor of the Atlantic Monthly, and Louis N. Lyons, curator of the University's Nieman Foundation--based the one hundred dollar award on Wood's whimsical short story, "A Very Young Rabbit," in the February 28 Lampoon.

"I have never attempted anything serious because I think young writers take themselves too seriously," said Wood, who retired recently after two years as president of the Lampoon. He graduates this June, but has no definite plans for a literary career.

The prize was originated this year by the Album Board of 1943 in honor of its chairman, Dana Reed '43. Four years ago Reed was reported missing in action over Northern Italy. While at the College he held posts on the Student Council, CRIMSON, and pre-war Guardian, as well as the Album.

Awards of one hundred dollars will be continued over a period of years.