Eliot House Carries Off Intramural Sports Cup

Winthrop's Bid Fails For Strauss Trophy

By Robert Carswell

Professor John H. Finley's complacent gentlemen from Eliot House ambled to first place in the spring intramural competitions to capture the Strauss Trophy, emblematic of House athletic supremacy, for the second straight year.

Adolph J. Samborski '26, director of intramural athletics, announced yesterday that the Mastodons won in the leagues with a total of 1415 1/4 points, some 100 points in front of second-running Winthrop House. Kirkland finished ten points behind the Puritans, followed by Leverett with 1212, Dunster with 1143, Adams with 1045 1/4, Lowell with 1035, and Dudley with 600.

Spring Fever Victim

After finishing the fall season with a comfortable lead, the Mastodons lost a sizable portion of their margin to Winthrop, which emerged as cold weather club of considerable minor sport power. Paradoxically, spring affected the Puritans, who lapsed into an enervated slump, while the Elephants trundled home with the silverware.

In the spring sports, Eliot took one first place, a stretch win in the crew races, three seconds (baseball, softball and tennis), and a third (golf), to win the season with 541 1/4 points. Kirkland with 531 1/4 points was the runner-up, followed by Winthrop with 498 3/4, Leverett with 482 1/2, Dunster with 447 1/2, Adams with 423 3/4, Lowell with 345, and Dudley with 215

In the fortnight-old crew finals, Eliot slid home ahead of Winthrop and Adams. Kirkland headed the non-finalists in front of Dunster and Lowell who were tied for fifth, with Leverett and Dudley bringing up the rear.

Deacons Rampage on Diamond

In baseball Kirkland led the league with an undefeated record of seven wins and no losses with Winthrop and Eliot tied for second at four wins and two losses. The rest of the loop finished; Leverett, Dunster, Adams, Lowell, and Dudley.

Leverett, featuring hitting over pitching, took the softball carnage with five wins, a loss, and a tie. Eliot came in second with 5 and 2, Kirkland third with 4 and 3, followed by Dunster, Winthrop and Adams tied for fifth, Dudley and Lowell tied for seventh.

In the golf competitions, forced to an abortive conclusion by inclement weather and impending exams, Dunster and Leverett tied for first with Winthrop, Adams, Eliot, and Kirkland knotted at third, and Lowell placed a poor last.

Tennis saw Kirkland take first place as Winthrop and Eliot tied for second in a double elimination tournament finished during Reading Period. Adams and Dunster split fourth place; Leverett took sixth, Lowell, seventh