Crimson Hopes in IC4A Fizzle with Trimble Out

Repeat of '47 N.Y. Showing Doubtful--Mikkola

Harvard tied for third with Penn State in the IC4A track and field meet last spring, but Coach Mikkola figures his team will be lucky to finish in the first ten tomorrow and Saturday at Randall's Island, New York. The reason is simple. Don Trimble, who won the IC4A javelin throw last spring, still can't throw without his sore elbow hurting, and he will definitely not compete at New York.

Polevaulter Gene Lockett, third-ranking man in the East this spring with a jump of 13 feet, is still hobbling around on the ankle he injured at West Point a couple of weeks ago. And large Geoff Tootell, who would probably have scored in the shot, is currently ineligible.

This leaves exactly four men to uphold Crimson prestige in the 72nd annual, 47-college championships: Sam Felton and John Thorndike in the 16-pound and polevaulters Owen Torrey and Bill Lawrence. Felton, the hammer favorite, thinks he'll have to throw about 185 feet to beat Jim Burnham of Dartmouth and Maine's Marsanskis. Final exams have prevented him from getting into shape, though. His teammate, Thorndike, may take fourth or fifth. Felton may also place in the discus.

If Lawrence and Torrey jump the way they did last year, they could tie for first with two or three other vaulters.