*The Mail*

Hits Credit Policy

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

The notice in last Tuesday's CRIMSON stating that no summer school credits would be accepted unless obtained at the Harvard Summer School merely serves to emphasize the outrageous policy which Harvard maintains concerning credits from other schools...

This official University policy is not only confined to summer schools. A student desireous of spending a year at internationally known and respected universities abroad meets with the same refusal to give any credit.

There is still another contradictory element in Harvard's policy. A few years ago when men were returning from the services, Harvard was eager to grant any and all credit that could conceivably be deduced from service records. We're all familiar with the credit given for basic training. Essentially this policy seemed a recognition of two things: one, that experience and education in varying sizes and shapes are valuable; and, two, that people have a limited amount of time in life to devote to their education. Is there any reason for Harvard to have renounced the validity of this progressive and intelligent way of thinking and to have made a complete about face in policy?

For Harvard to demand a high standard of education is certainly reasonable. For Harvard to say that it offers such a fine education here that no other institution may compare--and in effect that is what College policy maintains--is absurbd, particularly in the realm of foreign studies. William H. Wasserman, Jr. '43