Jayvee Nine Batters Tufts, 23-7; Freshmen Succumb to Andover, 6-1

The Jayvee and Freshman baseball teams hit the road Saturday afternoon. The Jayvees returned with their sixth straight win, 23-7 over Tufts, and the Freshmen came back to Cambridge with their fourth loss, 6-1 to Andover.

Tackling a consistently strong prep school squad, the Yardlings were not able to score until the seventh when Ed Smith was hit by a pitched ball, moved to second on Ernie Wohler's sacrifice, and scored when the Andover shortstop muffed Harry Cavanaugh's grounder.

Otherwise, Andover pitcher Bram Aruold handcuffed the visitors with three hits while Walt Horne, who came on in with two out in the eighth, gave up one more. Roy Meears was Coach Moo Berg's pitching nomination and went all the way, allowing three earned runs and nine hits. Andover scored once in the second, three times in the seventh, and twice in the eighth.

Vin Morton, Hal Marshall, Smith, and Neil Harper picked up the losers' safeties.

Clay Stops Jumbos

It was a different story at Medford as Lloyd Harper's Jayvee powerhouse squeezed 23 runs out of four Tuft pitchers. The Jumbos' starting pitcher lasted a third of an inning, the first reliefer pitched one inning and the procession of Tufts hurlers ended with the shortstop, who twirled the last frame.

The winners struck for four in the first and six in the second. From then on the game was never in doubt as Langdon Clay held the home team to live earned runs. Harvard capitalized on ten hits and numerous Jumbo errors. Bucky Harrison, with a homer and a triple, and Web Durant, who also homered, found Tufts' slow pitching to their liking and led the team at the plate.