Underdog Eight Rows Navy, Penn Tomorrow

Prospects Grim Despite Gale's Return

By Bayard Hooper

Cornell was a tough oarsmen battle last week, but predictions on tomorrow's struggle with Navy and Pennsylvania's crews seem to relegate the Crimson's previous defeat to the realm of canoeing on a moonlit lake.

Even without the draft to help them out, Navy is the logical candidate to win the Adams Cup tomorrow in the triangular contest over the Henley distance, The Middies have seven veterans from last year's formidable boatload, and as if that weren't enough, they have already turned in comfortable victories over both Princeton and Yale.

Harvard, it may be recalled, could only produce a 12-inch margin of victory over the Tigers two weeks ago, while Navy previously defeated them with two lengths to spare.

Gale Returns

The return of Jud Gale to the Crimson shell may help to bring down the odds on the Harvards, but experts still rate the Sailors favorites on the basis of past performance and on their greater backlog of experience. But Tom Bolles' charges seemed destined for at least a second-place, since their Pennsylvania hosts are not too highly regarded in informed quarters.

Jayvees, Freshmen Race

In the companion races, Jayvee and Freshman heavies will also face Navy and Penn shells. In their two previous outings the Junior Varsity oarsmen were outclassed by Princeton and Cornell.

Harvey Love's yearlings will be seeking to gain some solace from their third place finish behind M.I.T. and Cornell in their curtain raiser last week. Main reason for the squad's poor showing was the sudden illness of the number 6 man, "Swannie" Swanson midway through the course.