Europe Lures Graduating Seniors With Women, Study

Red Tape Can't Stop Them

"Are you going to Europe this summer, too?" If you are, it won't be an original idea. Paris expects 100,000 clean cut young Americans on Bastille Day (July 14) or thereabouts, and a good proportion of these will be Harvard A.B.'s, 1948 vintage.

Paris and the rive gauche seem to be a universal objective among the travelers, but they're going all over. One of today's graduates will be climbing the Swiss Alps within a few weeks; another will be exploring the Norwegian fjords; and a third intends to wander among the cypress trees of Van Gogh's Arles.

Anything that displaces more water than its weight will be used for the emigration. Some are sailing on the Marine boats (Jumper, Falcon, Tiger, etc.,), while others will be racing across on the Queens (Elizabeth and Mary) or on other massive ships of the line. A few fortunate ones will be making their Odyssey by air, but they all want the same thing: to see Europe as quickly as possible.

Last Chance

There are many reasons for this unparalleled urge to visit the Old World. Some are going there to study, others for the gay young Parisiennes, and still others because they think this may be their only chance to see the Europe they have heard so much about.

There is still some red tape that has to be cut in order to make the trip. Except for the Scandinavian countries, Holland, and Switzerland, all the nations require visas, the prices of which range from nothing for the Belgian to $4.35 for the French. You can try getting into Germany by writing the State Department, but there doesn't seem to be any way of touring through Yugoslavia.