Lowell Comes from Behind To Defeat Winthrop's Five

House League basketball bounced along in the established rut as it moved into its pre-exam series, Dudley beating Adams, 46 to 41, and Lowell coming from behind to top Winthrop, 41 to 31, in the Blockhouse Saturday night.

The Lowell-Winthrop game was played as a preliminary to the Varsity meeting with Cornell before a sizable crowd. The Puritans, sparked by center Ted Nelson, the tallest man in intramural basketball, jumped away to an early lead, which they maintained until the last ten minutes. The Lowell woke up. Snappy fast breaks, a Bellboy specialty, brought them closer and closer, and finally they went ahead on the layups and drive-ins of Goldie Goldsmith. It was the fourth straight win for Lowell, the second which they had to come from behind to win, and the third loss in four games for Winthrop.

The Dudley Commuters used their height to good advantage Friday as they topped Adams 46 to 41. The game was fast and relatively clean, except for a protracted dispute between Dudley and the referee on a point of rules. It was the second win for the Commuters, as against two defeats, and the fourth straight loss for Adams. Dudley also carried off the B League game, 29 to 20.

On other intramural fronts this week, hockey teams begin practices tomorrow, for two days, in preparation for their pre-exam series of one game per team, which starts Thursday and extends to next Wednesday.

A and B League squash begins and ends this week. Today Adams meets Winthrop, Leverett meets Kirkland, and Eliot meets Dunster.