Dean Asks 'Cliffe Council to Decide Fate of Club Lists

Dean Mildred P. Sherman told Radcliffe Student Government officers yesterday that she is willing to accept whatever decision Student Council reaches concerning the administration's demand for membership lists of all Annex undergraduate organizations, including the 'Cliffe AYD chapter and Young Progressive group. Council will thrash out a final recommendation at a special meeting this afternoon.

Miss Sherman presented the administration's reasons for demanding the club lists at the regular Council session yesterday afternoon. The AYD chapter has protested and refused to haud in such lists on the basis that affiliation with a left wing organization may hamper job opportunities after graduation.

Reveal Lists

When questioned by AYD president Nikki Ragozin '51 whether the Dean's Office would reveal names to outside investigators, Miss Sherman answered that no lists have been given out in the past but admitted that if asked point blank by a government investigator it would be necessary.

The dean denied that the administration had any political motives for requesting the lists. She gave the following reasons for wanting the names of every Annex club member: 1) for individual students' personal records, and 2) that it is the administration's responsibility to know what goes on in any organization bearing Radcliffe's name.

Since extra-curricular activities often affect a student's academic standing. Miss Sherman felt it important that the office know exactly in what groups the girls are participating.

At a previous meeting Council had proposed and passed by a straw vote a recommendation that an alphabetical list of members of all political organizations might solve the problem. This proposal was satisfactory to the left wing groups, but the entire question will be reconsidered today.