Georgetown Appoints Margarita Grid Coach

Tutored Crimson Backfield

Rob Margarita, former Crimson backfield coach, was named head football mentor at Georgetown University last week.

In his three years of coaching experience, Margarita has been on the raw end of Harvard-Yale contest three times. He worked under Dick Harlow in the gloomy 1946 and 1947 seasons and saw his Crimson charges bow t the Elis both years. Last fall he joined the Herman Hickman regime in New Haven, and when a Valpey-inspired Crimson eleven turned the tables, Margarita was still on the bottom.

Press Agent

But despite these disappointments, he got some training in the art of head coaching in addition to his backfield duties by acting as chief assistant, occasional spokesman, and press agent for the ailing Harlow.

Margarita has been a Georgetown coach before, but only for eight days. He traveled to Washington last spring to take over the Hoya backfield, but left when he received the more tempting offer from Yale.

Even before his coaching days, Margarita was active in the Ivy League. When he was playing for Brown, he was one of the best backs in the circuit. Although he weighed only 175 pounds, he went on into the pro ranks and put in two years with the Chicago Bears.