No Probation for Juniors or Seniors

Athletic Teams Will Benefit

Academic probation has been virtually abolished for juniors and seniors.

Dean Bender announced yesterday that the Dean's Office will place most juniors and seniors with failing grades on warning, rather than on probation. He emphasized that disciplinary cases would still draw the probation penalties.

The new policy will give men in the two upper classes more discretion in arranging their own time. Students on probation cannot take part in any extra-curricular activities.

Activities Helped

Athletic teams, publications, dramatic groups and other activities are expected to benefit from the system, since warning places no restrictions on such activities.

College observers yesterday linked the University Hall move to the recent case of two members of the HTW who were suspended for appearing in an under-graduate production while on probation. Faculty protest against their suspension is said to have hastened the renewal of the pre-war probation-warning policy.

Policy Is Not New

"We want to leave juniors and seniors more to their own decisions," Dean Bender said. He pointed out that the policy is not new, having been started in the mid 1930's but abandoned during the war.

"After the warning period," Dean Bender continued, "students will be dropped if their records are still unsatisfactory." He added that the system is not a change in rules, but merely a "shift in emphasis" in enforcement.

Men on probation are not allowed to cut classes or other College exercises or to compete for prizes. The regulations state that a student on warning, however, "is notified that his connection with the College may be terminated at the end of the term if his record remains unsatisfactory."