Varsity Holds Defense Drill; Valpey Fears Green Passing

The varsity, football team got a long look at what Dartmouth will bring to the Stadium in its workout yesterday, for emphasis throughout the practice was put on the Big Green of fense.

A long pass defense drill, with Bill Houry and Jimmy Noonan playing the part of John Clayton, opened the day's work. Then the varsity offense ran through a half-hour of passing and running drills against Dartmouth defenses.

The contact portion of the workout found the freshmen running Dartmouth plays against a varsity defense that was as follows: Fred Ravreby, left guard; Jerry Kanter, right guard; Win Davis, right tackle; and Dike Hyde, right end Phil Isenberg, John West, Charley Walsh, Paul Shafer, and Charley Roche were in the backfield.

Coan Back

When the varsity offense lined up for final signal drills, John Coan, first-string guard who was out for the Cornell game and pat of the Army game, returned to and part of the Army game, returned to his post. Roche, Bill Henry, Hal Mobile,

Coach Valpey had some comments on the Dartmouth offense after going through Elmer Madar's scouting reports. "Clayton is one of the better quarterbacks in the country on T-formation work' he said. "Dartmouth's got a lot of good backs, and one of the best passing attacks in the East."

Art also had high praise for the work of the Big Green's ends, Dave Beeman and Tom Rowe. (Beeman, at 6 ft., 5 in., is the biggest man on the squad). "They catch a lot of passes--and Clayton is a very fine passer."

Clayton, whose throws have paced the Dartmouth attack this year, didn't use his talents along these lines much last year. The Big Green, sparked by Hal Fitkin, stuck pretty much to the ground in ending the Crimson, 14 to 7.